NONPROFIT CONSULTING INTERNSHIP
We are looking for an intern to support the Room40 team in delivering transformative and much-needed consulting services to our clients. As an intern, you will support discrete projects (“workstreams” in consulting jargon) within client engagements, perform data-driven analysis, and work on internal projects to help Room40 function more efficiently. You’ll be expected to take leadership of your work and reach out for help when needed.
By combining hard work, analytic insight, compassion, honesty, humility, and humor, you will help nonprofit leaders better understand their challenges, see their options, and move their organizations towards a better future. With the guidance of our team of Associates, you will learn a lot, advance your career and have fun doing it.
ABOUT THE ROOM40 GROUP
The Room40 Group is a consulting and advisory group working with nonprofits to help them improve, grow and change. We work hard to delight our clients, help them at critical points in their organization’s development and have fun along the way.
Room40 blends a strategy consulting skill set with the experience gained as nonprofit executives leading organizations ranging in size from $5M to $150M. A growing number of organizations also know us for our revenue analysis, facilitation, and publications like The Map of Opportunity. In all we do, we enable nonprofits to make better decisions, faster.
Founded in 2014, Room40 is still a lot closer to small and scrappy than big and boring. But while we’re young and growing, we’re not new to this. We are built on decades of experience working with nonprofits as executives and consultants. So, you get the best of both worlds — an opportunity to learn from talented, experienced nonprofit leaders and to be a part of defining and shaping our company. Your impact will be significant — for Room40 and for our clients.
And our clients are awesome. City Year, Cradles to Crayons, Citizen Schools, Ceres… and that’s just some of the “c”s!
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES & GOALS
(1) Bring analysis, logic, critical thinking and data to bear to help solve really messy, complicated problems for our clients. This will make up about 60% of your time and will involve some combination of:
- Qualitative and quantitative research and analysis on individual organizations and the field as a whole
- Financial analysis, including forward-looking financial projections
- Attending Room40 team meetings and client meetings
- Working to support Room40 Group Associates
(2) Make the whole team better (about 40% of your time):
- Work on internal projects that aim to help Room40 function more effectively. This might involve cleaning and analyzing data sets, drafting content for our blog/social media, or supporting sales and marketing projects.
- Look to improve. You seek out feedback and set the highest standards for your work and how much you contribute to those around you.
- Take Room40 and our work even further down the field than all the progress we’ve already made because complacency is boring. And, honestly, it’s so past time for the world to be a better version of itself.
SO, WHO ARE YOU?
You’re the one people like to have around because you’re smart and quick to lend a hand. You see the gap in logic, what needs doing, what has to happen 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to pull off whatever project you’re working on whether it’s a research paper, some sort of analysis, or a gathering of friends. You’re diligent, matter-of-fact and are bothered if the details of your work aren’t right. You like seeing others succeed and doing more than your share when you work as part of a team. You’re excited by trailblazing.
We’re most interested in strong candidates who are excited about the world of nonprofit consulting. This position has the potential to lead to future opportunities at Room40. Internship candidates should at a minimum be in the latter half of their undergraduate career. Since we’re open to future opportunities, we also encourage candidates with a Master’s degree or some professional experience who are looking to make a shift into nonprofit consulting. We are offering extensive training and envision the intern working with a moderate level of dependence on our associates.
Some highlights of what our ideal candidate offers:
- Must have a strong desire to learn about nonprofit consulting. Ideally, you are considering consulting for nonprofits as a future career path
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable conducting research and quantitative analysis (you’re not afraid to dive into a dataset!)
- Excited about working with a small, hard-working team that likes to geek out on data
- Takes initiative
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
We work with diverse organizations and value diversity on our team. Our namesake, an actual place in World War I, was established on the value of diversity of ideas.
The Room40 Group provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment without regard to age, race, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or religion.
We know that it takes people of diverse identities, experiences, and skill sets to solve the complex problems our clients bring to us.
We also know that people perform best when they are comfortable bringing their complete self to work. As such, we are constantly looking for ways to create a more equitable, inclusive work environment.
We are hiring an intern for 10 weeks, with the option for more time if both parties are interested. We expect a start date around mid-May to early June 2019.
When it comes to compensation, we believe in taking care of our people. You will earn a living wage for the Boston area (~$15/hour).
This position is based in Boston, MA.
If all of this sounds awesome, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 13th, 2019 with “Internship” in the subject line.
Note that we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis up until the March 13th deadline.